Wednesday 10 November 2010

Evaluating Music Magazine Deconstructions

After looking at a variety of magazines with different layouts and styles, I have come to realise what visually appeals to me and what doesn't. I think a bold masthead and a striking image should be the two main areas of focus, as they say a lot about the magazine. I particularly like a muted colour palette, with only a few bright colours highlighting the key features, as it is easy on the eye and too many colours make the page look messy and cluttered. I also think less is more, especially when thinking about the cover lines. Too much text on the page can detract from the image, so it's important to have the right balance. I think the magazines with the bolder mastheads stood out more, so I need to make my masthead striking in order to engage the audience. NME and Q in particular caught my attention because of the use of colour in the masthead. Bright colours such as red and purple definitely make the masthead more eye-catching. My favourite contents page was 'Vibe' because of it's different layout and simple background. Many magazines try and fit too much into the contents page making it seem overloaded with information. However a plain background, clear text and prominent image make the page simple but effective. For a double page spread, I like the idea of having a quote from the text enlarged so it takes up quite a lot of the space, as this acts as a lure encouraging people to read the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment